Forum Discussion

paulmedynski
New Contributor
11 days ago
Solved

Review Subscriptions & Role Changes

Hi,

I'm using a hosted Collaborator instance v13.12.131204.  I have subscribed to reviews for certain authors as an Observer.  However, if they want me to be a Reviewer, they cannot change my role from Observer.  I read this FAQ entry:

When participant is subscribed as Observer for review author then author cannot change role of the participant to Reviewer. | SmartBear Software

But I can't find a "review subscription mode" any where in the settings (I am an admin).

Is there a way to allow role changes for participants who are also subscribed?

Thanks,

-Paul

• I believe what you're saying is that a subscriber cannot override their subscribed role.  Oof!

For example, it isn't possible for User B to be subscribed as an Observer on Author A's reviews except for one particular review by Author A where User B wants to be a Reviewer.

I can see a couple of workarounds:

• Change the subscription role to Reviewer while performing the desired review, and then change it back to Observer.
    • Delete the subscription while performing the review as a Reviewer, and then re-create it once the review completes.

2 Replies

• I believe what you're saying is that a subscriber cannot override their subscribed role.  Oof!

For example, it isn't possible for User B to be subscribed as an Observer on Author A's reviews except for one particular review by Author A where User B wants to be a Reviewer.

I can see a couple of workarounds:

• Change the subscription role to Reviewer while performing the desired review, and then change it back to Observer.
    • Delete the subscription while performing the review as a Reviewer, and then re-create it once the review completes.
  • Bit of background:  A user can subscribe to a particular author's reviews and be added to the reviews in a chosen role.  Every time there is a change made to the participant list in a review, Collaborator has to go check to see if there are any subscriptions from any users which now apply.  You've subscribed to be an Observer but as soon as your role is changed it is immediately changed back to Observer because your subscription is in effect.

"Review Subscriptions" are part of a user's preferences:

https://support.smartbear.com/collaborator/docs/web-client/manage-acc/user-prefs.html#review-subscriptions

You can change your role in the review only as long as the subscription doesn't apply.  So, for example, if you change the Author of the review then you can change your role.  But as soon as you change the Author back, your subscription will force your role back to Observer.