Forum Discussion

mario_didonna
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Changing Windows Forms names

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm using TestComplete 7.52.678.5 with Windows7 64-bit, testing a framework that draws upon the .NET framework.

When I record an operation inside of a dialog, the name of the dialog is recorded as "wndWindowsForms10Window8app033c0d9d1", but when I play this step back it doesn't work because the name of the dialog is now "wndWindowsForms10Window8app033c0d9d1"; the last character is different.

I need some logic that will just identify an opening string in the name of a Windows Form name so that I can send the playback command to the right destination. Can someone help me with this topic?

Yours sincerely, Mario
  • You would need to change the name within the object mapper to

"wndWindowsForms10Window8app033c0d9d*"  That way no matter what the last digit is, the object will remain the same.

4 Replies

karkadil
    Valued Contributor
    Hi all,

Unfortunately, all suggestions above seems to be wrong.

This problem is specific for TestComplete 7.52, it doesn't recognize .NET controls correctly after installing a certain Windows Update.

There are 2 ways to solve this problem:

1. Upgade to a higher TestComplete version

2. Ask support team for patch. Previously this path was available for downloading, but after TC 8 had been released, the patch was removed. But I'm sure you can get it by asking support team.

Without this patch you will not be able working with .NET application correctly (controls are recognized as Windows, not WinFormsObject)
    smarshall
    Occasional Contributor
    You would need to change the name within the object mapper to

"wndWindowsForms10Window8app033c0d9d*"  That way no matter what the last digit is, the object will remain the same.
  • I'm not sure where to do this.

The parent folder of the action isn't editable. I tried editing the action, and putting the asterisk into the Object field of the On-Screen Action dialog, and it told me that that object does not exist. See screenshot attached.

Any further help?

smarshall
    Occasional Contributor
    You go over to the namemapper itself (Project WorkSpace => [ProjectName] => NameMapper).  Find the top object and then right click to edit the object name.  I'm afraid that I'm going off of memory here as we do not use the namemapper here so please pardon me if I'm missing a step but below is an article that should help.

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/33366/