Forum Discussion

jrussell
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago

Programatically export test run results to HTML using COM

I am able to run a Project Test Item from a COM (C#) application.  The challenge I have is getting the results from the Project Test Item.  I am able to receive the status of the run(OK, Warning, Error), but I would like to get access to the logs from the run.  I would like to display these results in HTML format.

I would like to programmatically export the latest test results to HTML.  I know how to do it via TestComplete UI, but I would like to do this via COM interface.

• You can get the name of the log by calling

IntegrationObject.GetLastResultDescription().LogFileName

It will always point to a xml file called RootLogData.dat

Parse this xml and look for the Prp tag with the attribute name="filename". In the attribute value you will find the name of the log file. Something like this: ="{D7603EDA-C8B8-4006-9D57-F034297D444A}"

This log file is a xml file as well. Now parse this xml and write your desired html code. Every Node tag represents a message line.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Is this relating to TestComplete MSTest or TCUnitTest unit tests?

jrussell
      Occasional Contributor

This is related to TestComplete

jrussell
      Occasional Contributor

This relates to running TestComplete Script Unit tests and Test Project Items.

jrussell
    Occasional Contributor

This is the workflow we would like to have happen.  After we run a test suite, we would like to get these results as HTML.

jrussell
      Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately MHT files are only useful if you use Microsoft Internet Explorer.  I can't have a requirement you need to use Microsoft Internet Explorer to see the results. (Does not work with Microsoft Edge either.)

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

I've never had any issues with Edge viewing MTH, but certain users have. There's a discussion here https://community.smartbear.com/t5/TestComplete-Questions/The-latest-version-of-Edge-114-no-longer-always-opens-Mht-files/td-p/251440

Also try, in order for Edge to open MHT files you may need to configure the following:

• Open Microsoft Edge on Windows 10.
    • Click the Settings and More (ellipsis) button on the top-right corner.
    • Select the Settings option.
    • Click on Default browser.
    • Under the “Internet Explorer compatibility” section, turn on the “Allow sites to be reloaded in Internet Explorer mode” toggle switch.
    • Click the Restart button.

jrussell
      Occasional Contributor

MHT files still do not work under Chrome, or Firefox.

Henry1
        Contributor

jrussellAs this discussion seams to get pointless please feel free to pn me as I'm doing exactly the same thing and have a working solution written in C#.